Saturday, January 25, 2014

How My Son Stole My Dad's Birthday

It was January 25, 1999. I reported to the Woman’s Hospital at 730am as instructed to be induced.  I was HUGE. My stomach, my face, my, feet, my fingers, my everything huge…I was full of water, blood pressure was creeping and I was told this baby was BIG. I needed to be induced because my doctor was afraid I was not going to be able to get him out if she just let me just wait it out another week or 2. It was exciting, scary and it was  January 25th my Dad’s Birthday. I was 23 years old and this was my first baby. The hospital started things right away, I thought for sure I’d have a baby by the end of the day. I was on the fence if I wanted that or wanted them to share a birthday. It would be really cool but I also thought I wanted my boy to have his OWN day.

Well, to my surprise he did get his own day. He was born 2 days later, 2 long, sleep deprived and painful days. On January 27, 1999 at 8:36pm. I was in active labor for 36 hours and then had a c-section because no matter what I did he was not budging. (later I found out the cord was wrapped around his neck twice)  He was 8lbs 8oz and 20inches long. He had huge feet, long fingers and was all legs.

The records might say they don’t share a birthday but THEY do. My Dad’s running joke was that “Trevor stole his birthday” He always said that. Their birthdays are 2 days apart but many times we had cake for both of them at the same time or gave my Dad his own cake at the “kids” birthday party. I think my Dad enjoyed it or he wouldn’t have gone to all those kids birthday parties that were on HIS actual birthday because that was the good “Saturday” to have it on.
He wouldn’t have worn the BRIGHT yellow SpongeBob t-shirt to match Trevor on HIS 44th birthday and he wouldn’t have hired a clown and sat through the show on HIS 45th birthday, and he wouldn’t have gone bowling more times than he ever really wanted to on HIS birthday. He was a man of little words unless he was picking on you or teasing you, that was just his way. So if this boy hadn’t “stole” his birthday he would of spent his birthday at home, having a beer and eating a Carvel Ice-cream cake but instead he spent his last 12 birthdays celebrating with an amazing boy, his Grandson, who will always be known for stealing his Pop’s birthday!

This will be Trevor’s 3rd Birthday celebrating without my Dad as his birthday sidekick giving him a hard time teasing him relentlessly. My Dad loved Trevor and was extremely proud of him, although as I said he was a man of few words when it came to things like that. After my Dad passed we met so many people at his service that we had never met before. They knew so much about this kid, from his name, to his grades and the sports he played. They all told Trevor how much my Dad talked about him and how proud he was of his Grandson. I’m so glad Trevor will always know and have that to carry in his heart.



Happy Birthday in Heaven Daddy. I love and miss you every day.  We will be thinking of you as we Celebrate Boneheads 15th Birthday!!

4 comments:

  1. Aww, how beautiful! Happy Birthday to both of your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this so much. You can see the happiness in your dad's face. And the picture of them in the SpongeBob shirts, priceless. I am sorry about his passing. I am happy you have wonderful memories to always carry on his legacy. Happy Birthday to your son and your Daddy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just saw this. I don't go on here as much as I should or want to.

      Delete