Thursday, October 23, 2014

Don’t Put an Age Limit on Halloween



I remember being in 6th grade.  How old are you in 6th grade maybe 11 years old? It was Halloween. My Mom took my sister (who is 4years younger than me) and I out Trick or Treating.  My sister and I would always walk up to the doors together. I was a Princess wearing an old purple prom dress, crown with my glittery star wand sparkling under all the porch lights. I realize it was a different time back then and I know most 6th grade girls today would never even think about being a princess. My sister and I we were having fun until we reached the top of the steps at this one house. This man opens the door, scowls at me and says “Aren’t you a little big for this?” I believe he meant big as in too old  because even though I was only 11, I was just about as tall as I am now 5’6. I physically looked about 15 or 16 years old but I was only a young 11 year old girl. That was the last time I went Trick or Treating. 

My oldest son is in a similar situation. Luckily for him, when he sprouted up, he had a little brother that’s 10 years younger than him to use as a decoy from snide remarks that may have ended his Halloween fun even earlier than mine. 

He is now 15, he looks 18. He’s just about 6’5 and 180lbs. He likes Halloween, he has always liked to dress up and although his costumes and his friend’s costumes aren’t as elaborate or cute they are still kids. My son will be going out Trick or Treating with some friends around our family oriented neighborhood.  We let him walk around without us. Last night when we were at the costume store having fun and picking out our costumes, I thought to myself how these years for and with him are coming to an end. It makes me sad. The thought also crossed my mind of what people might think of a 6’5 kid ringing their doorbell regardless of how old he actually is.

This Halloween when you open your door and you are disappointed not to see a Baby Bumble Bee, a little Fire Fighter, or a sweet Lady bug standing there but instead it’s a group of pre-teens or teenagers who in your opinion may be to old but are still just having a little fun with their friends just smile. Don’t be mean. Don’t frown on them. Don't put them down.
Don’t put an age limit on Halloween. Let them have fun even if the boys voices sound like a man or the girls are giggling too much and even though they are taking up all the space on your porch with their pillowcases full of candy that they will never have enough time nor be allowed to consume all of. I told them the  rules before they set out and I expect them to always be polite and respectful. So, regardless of how old you think they look open your door with a smile and let them act like the kids they actually are for just this one night. They need to find that kid every now and then in a world that makes them grow up much too fast.

 

2 comments:

  1. Jen, well said!!! I love going out to the party and watching all the kids, young and young at heart, having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, well said!!! I love going out to the party and watching all the kids, young and young at heart, having fun!

    ReplyDelete