Tuesday, August 20, 2013

As we said Goodbye and Happy Retirement to our Pediatrician



So today was the day. Our last appointment with our beloved Pediatrician of 14 1/2 years. It feels like a chapter has closed. This may seem silly to some but he was a special "little" Doctor, so yes I brought both kids in for the last time, yes we brought a gift, yes we gave him a card, yes this crazy Momma documented the "last" visit with pictures, which apparently isn't that crazy being that he asked me to take a picture with his camera too....and YES, I wrote him a letter to express my gratitude, well because that's what I do. 

He couldn't read it all, before he was getting choked up, and Thanking me for my Trust in him, then he gave all hugs and we wished him well as he heads off to Retirement land! 

This is the letter I wrote him.


Dear Dr. Chen;

There I was 23 years old a first time mother of a brand new baby boy and there you were this experienced Pediatrician that I had chosen to care for our new baby. Right from the start I trusted you and knew you were the right choice for our new family. You were so thorough and had such a careful yet conservative mind for Pediatric medicine. At first I thought that those were the most important qualities to have in a Pediatrician however I soon realized that you were more than that. You were a great Pediatrician but also a great person. You genuinely cared not only about our new baby but also my well-being.  You have always reassured me, encouraged me and told me I was doing a great job as a Mom, all the things a mother needs to hear. 

After 14 ½ years and 2 children later, I have realized that I never really actually told you what a GREAT job YOU have done being their Pediatrician. I have thanked you sure at the end of each visit or at the end of a phone call but there’s no way I can ever Thank you enough for being such an amazing doctor and keeping our boys healthy and safe. 

You’ve always been honest, patient & encouraging. I feel extremely lucky that both our boys were taken care of by you.  You have always had a warm, attentive manner which made a big difference through a few challenging situations over the years, especially with Tanner as an infant. You were always willing to listen and take the time to answer and respond to my questions and concerns. You have filled out more forms for us over the years for daycare, school and sports than I care to remind you about without complaint. 
You have watched Trevor grow from a 8lb baby to a 6’4, 14 year old, who’s 2x the size of you, so now  who is going to ask that boy at his next appointment “What do you want to be when you grow up?”  You have given us such medical stability and great care with a personal touch that we will always remember and we will truly miss you.

It’s a sad day for this Momma as we say goodbye and send you off to Retirement. Thank you for all you have done for us and we wish you all the best!! 

Regards,


No comments:

Post a Comment