Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Brothers

Are you Crazy? Was this planned? OMG, what were you thinking? This is what people said, when they found out I was pregnant and even still when they see/meet us now.  We have a toddler (3) and a teenager (14)
It’s a HUGE difference having 1 child for 10 years and then boom bam here’s a baby. The first one was easy. What would be different this time around? I’ve already done this once, I got this. Hmmmmmm
Well let me tell you the difference ……
I am 10 years older for starters. I work full time. I chose to breastfeed this time and I have another kid.
Having a newborn that won’t sleep and is constantly attached to your nipple while trying to make sure the child you have raised for 10 years as an only child still feels loved is a lot of pressure.  
Then one day, I blatantly realized, and thought to myself that this 10 year old loves this baby just as much as I do.  
So there we were 2 boys, 10 years apart, 2 parents 10 years older than the first time around and we are just going wing it from here.
It’s been 3 years. We have brought this baby now toddler to countless baseball games and endless basketball courts. We have brought him to school functions, band concerts and awards ceremonies. We have brought the teenager to kid shows and pre-school parties. We have done things as a family and we have split up and done things separately. We have had Mom and son days and Dad and son days.
We have 2 boys now that have become brothers regardless of the 10 year difference. We have a toddler who looks at his teenage brother as if he were a super hero. We have a teenager that will let his toddler sit with him and his friends at a Varsity basketball game. We have a toddler who wants to do everything his brother does and a teenager who wants to teach a toddler everything he knows. We have 2 boys 10 years apart that will snuggle on the couch and watch a movie together.  We have a humorous toddler who brings out the laughter in a serious teenager.  We have a toddler who makes my teenager show his “kid” side just a little bit longer. We have a straight laced teenager who will tell a naughty toddler to make better choices. What we have is love, brotherly LOVE.
Are we Crazy? Yes, I think we are that we waited 10 years to give Trevor the gift of being a brother!!
Did we plan this? Yes, perfectly!!


No comments:

Post a Comment