Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

February 14, 2000, the man I loved while holding our first born son who had just turned a year old, handed me a little box. In this box was a ring and a tiny piece of paper (like that from a fortune cookie) that read “Trevor and I want to be with you FOREVER”, then he asked me to Marry Him. So cliché, getting engaged on Valentine’s Day! Well let me tell you nothing is “cliché” about Steve and I.
We did everything ASS backwards. First of all I met Steve when I was 19 years old and I was still dating my high school boyfriend, who slashed Steve’s tires and keyed his car. He was technically still with his College girlfriend and we burned her pictures on his parent’s front steps once. Why I have no idea, probably my crazy ass idea!!! Oh and he was also hanging w some random chick from work who I stole him away from and in return she tormented me for weeks and then finally punched me in the face.  
The night of our first date (1995), was a disaster, it was a big snow storm and it was my sister’s birthday.  My Mom was yelling at me to stay …and I was just trying to high tale it out of there before my Dad came home and really layed down the law….so I made the trek in my lil ole Charger from Stillwater to Colonie to meet him.
We were 2 totally different people, with different backgrounds. I am from the country, grew up camping, fishing, archery, boating, all my friends drove pickup trucks and were hunters.  Our parties were on rivers, sod farms and in corn fields. He was in the marching band, an altar boy and traveling to Europe with his grandparents.  I had a fan in my room as a kid, his family went to a Hotel once because their central air was broken.
Despite the differences, we were in love. A few years went by and hello we’re having a baby. Two years go by, we got hitched.  Then we bought a house moved to a new town and had another baby. ALL ASS BACKWARDS!
We have been through so much together. Good and bad. We have endured things as a couple that many couples never have to go through and if they do don’t make it. We have lived this life together bringing out the best and worst in each other. We have raised our boys by letting the differences in our backgrounds and personality shine through.
We are still very different, I am crazy and spontaneous. He is serious and a planner.  I am fun and he is reserved. I see the positive in things and he dwells on the negative. He drinks beer and I drink wine. He loves to eat and I always want to be on a diet. He likes to sit around I always have to be doing something.
He has taught me about ALL SPORTS, Church, RUSH, SU and Jim Boeheim, NCAA brackets, “guy” sensitivity, forgiveness and how to love someone unconditionally.
I have taught him about country music, boating, camping, toughness, what it’s like to have a dog as part of your family, communication skills, Nascar and letting loose just for the FUN of it!
We may be different but what keeps us together is what we have in common.  Our LOVE for each other and our family. Our common desire to always be the best parents possible. Our love and commitment to our family and friends. Our effort to always help each other and ALWAYS be there for one another no matter what.
  On this Valentine’s Day and every day, I love you Husband.
Yours Truly,
Jackie Joyner- Kersee  (LOL) Not everyone will get that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment