Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Raising "Smart" Kids



I came across this article today about raising smart kids. It went on to list all of the things you can do to ensure you are raising a smart child. It compared the rich to the poor, the boys to the girls amongst many other things. It also said if your child plays the piano by age 3, you have 500 books in your home and if they were breastfed you will have a smart child. I did not agree with most of the article. Some facts I know are scientifically proven however most of the article seemed like old fashion nonsense.  I think all children are different and that they come with a pre- set intelligence level. It’s up to you as a parent to nurture your child’s individual intelligence level. It’s up to you to make sure they reach their maximum potential and their maximum potential may not be what you envisioned.

My oldest son is 14 years old. He is smart, hell probably smarter than most adults I come across on a daily basis, no seriously.  

I had him when I was 23 years old. I did not breastfeed him. We did not have 500 books. He did not play the piano by age 3. My Husband and I lived together but not married yet.  He worked awful hours for the first 5 years of this child’s life and I was his primary parent.  I stayed home with him for 2 years. He also didn’t say ONE word until he was almost 3 years old. He was tested, head CT, hearing and screened for cognitive problems. ALL negative, then one day this boy opened his mouth and a full sentence came out! This is an absolute TRUE Story! It went on from there. He was reading road signs and was reading books to us by 4 years old.  He received the “BEST READER” award when he graduated preschool.  He was getting ready for Kindergarten, he went through the screening process in about 10 minutes and again I am serious.  He started Kindergarten and at our first parent teacher conference, she told us how smart he was. I mean I thought he was smart, but all parents think their kids are smart right? So what was so different about mine? She also said and I will never forget this, “Don’t take this the wrong way, but was he just like this” I said “ What, as in did I sit with him for the past 4 years and teach him to read, NO, I didn’t, so I guess he just came like this.” 

I did all the normal things with him. We read books, we colored, we played board games and we listened to music. I introduced him to things and made sure socially he was ready for school. That’s what I did. 

A few months into Kindergarten we got the call asking if they could put him in the computer lab with 1st and 2nd graders for an hour every other day, Oh and to send a book with him to school because he gets talkative when he’s finished his work and needs something to do.
We switched school districts when he entered 2nd grade. He adjusted quickly and well. He was put in 2 scholar programs and received the Presidential Award upon completion of elementary school. He is now in his last year of Middle School. He has been on the High Honor Roll the entire time and taking several Honors courses above his grade level. He has received Math Awards and been inducted into the National Jr Honor Society. He has never brought home anything less than an A, EVER.

He works hard and it shows. He is a responsible and reliable student. He maintains all of this while playing on 2, well this year 3 different basketball teams and playing baseball.

As a Mom I have seen him struggle in other ways.  He hated swimming lessons and was/is a bad swimmer. He went to summer camp as a young child and always had to wear the wrist band color that prohibited him from going in the deep end. He took FOREVER to learn to tie his shoes. Hell, he didn’t ride a bike until he was 10 years old!!!  

He has asked me more than once if he had to be in the “Honors” classes. He struggled with that especially this past year. He is 14 and “those” classes are for Dorks.  I explained to him that he can remain “cool” and be smart. Sometimes that is hard to explain to a 14 year old that is trying to figure out who they are and where they belong.  I will always try to see his point of view and never brush his feelings away but as his parent I will be damned if I let him drop Honors courses. 

I know it’s easier to watch your child excel easily instead of struggle but I am not ANY less proud of him because it comes easier to him. Why should I be?

So am I raising a “Smart” child? Yes.  However, I did not shove Baby Einstein videos and music in his face, hell I let this kid watch Teletubbies, yes I am admitting that, how embarrassing. I would like to think, take credit for and believe I played a larger role in his academic success but all I have done is teach him to be responsible and accountable.  I have always told him and always will tell him how proud he makes me and how much I love him. I tell him all the time to dream big and believe in himself.  I truly believe he can do and be anything. He is my shining star.

So I believe brains already have somewhat of a plan set in place. Not everyone has a “Smart” child. They all have their own limits. They are all “Smart” in their own way.  As a parent all you can do is believe in them and love them.

It doesn't take a genius to help a child reach their intellectual potential – just a loving, involved parent.

1 comment:

  1. I just started reading you're blog 20 minutes ago and already I am addicted!

    ReplyDelete