Friday, April 5, 2013

Good 'Ole Welfare



What I choose to write about today can be a hot topic. It is also a topic that I see on a daily basis and I have experience on both sides with.  It’s a topic that can be touchy but hell I am going to touch on it anyway.

WELFARE, good ole Welfare.

I think way back when the Welfare system probably had perfect intentions.  I feel it was designed to help the poor , near poor purchase food and pay their rent. Sadly, it has turned into something totally different and is totally abused, not only is it abused but now there are multiple generations of welfare abusers that are still living off the government payroll and my hard earned tax dollars. 

In my opinion, it’s for people who are working but just can’t make ends meet. It’s for families that want to work but need assistance with childcare; because as we all know the cost of that a month is equal to a 2nd mortgage. It’s for families that are forced to choose between heating their homes and feeding their children.  It’s for the single working parent that still can’t afford rent, childcare formula and food. 

It’s NOT for the unemployed, but able to work, designer clothed, nails done, fancy hair, Jordan sneaker wearing, iPhone talking, Escalade driving son of a bitch families that I commonly see. Those are who I consider are abusing the system. Those who abuse welfare are lazy people who should get off their ASS and work, instead of waiting for their free money every month. 

I say free money but it comes at a cost. Our cost. I would also like to believe in people and human nature. I would also like to think it comes at a cost to them as well, their conscious, and their pride.

How can they live with themselves? Don’t they feel guilty? Don’t they feel ashamed? Don’t they want to be a better person? What kind of example does this set for their children, which is the obvious reason why generations after generations live off the system, because it’s all they know. They never have that feeling of owning or earning something. They grow up and are surrounded by people that feel they deserve and are entitled to it all, that everything is a free hand out. Why would you want your child to live like that when you are capable of working and showing them what it’s like to earn something. What happened to when you want or need something you go out and earn it? 

I again have NO problem with the people/families that work hard and still need help, I’m happy to help.  I also have no problem with families that need temporary help because they can’t find a job and have hit rock bottom. I am happy to help. I myself needed to apply for WIC when my first son was born 14 years ago. I was only 23 years old, worked part-time, but had to go out on bed rest 2 months early. My Husband worked full-time crazy 12 +hour days and money was tight. When he was born we needed help getting formula. My parents bought us formula until I was accepted onto WIC. However, I remember going to the store and I was so embarrassed to have to pay for the formula with "those WIC checks". I didn’t want to have to do that, but it was what I needed to do at the time. I had WIC for about 6 months and then things were back in order and we could buy it ourselves. I sent my next batch of checks back to the WIC department with a note, letting them know how grateful I was and to use those checks on someone else, that we were OK now. I will never forget this mostly because the woman at WIC sent me a card after receiving the checks back wishing me the best with my baby and said she wished there were more people like me out there. I now know what she meant by “people like me”, she meant good honest people who need help but don’t abuse it or take it for granted. 

With that said, I strictly have a problem with the people that abuse this system and make it their career and way of life. Not acceptable. It’s a pure disgrace. 

Welfare and assistance in your daily life should be appreciated not expected. It is actually a charity, and a charity is done out of kindness.  When did human nature decide to take advantage of such kindness?

2 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree!! The girl who lives upstairs from me has 3 kids. She lives in an apartment that is $1100/mo rent. She has a brand new washer and dryer (which the landlady had put in because she felt sorry for her because all her children are under the age of 7). She has medicaid and food stamps. Her husband is in jail for selling drugs. Every weekend you hear the music blasting till 3 or 4 in the morning, the kids running around...

    The CNA's I used to work with at the nursing home all had designer scrubs, new cars, a bunch of kids, their baby daddys were all in jail. They live in subsidized housing. They get $1000/mo or more in food stamps. They have medical benefits through their union. They were making more than me.

    When hubby and I lost our jobs I couldn't get a dime of help even though for 4 weeks we had NO money coming in. I finally had to go down to DSS to see why I hadn't heard anything back. I went from window to window until I was finally handed a card for emergency food stamps. I applied for Medicaid but because I made more than $920/mo I didn't qualify. So how was I supposed to pay for my medications which I can't just stop taking? I asked if I could get help with my rent since we weren't bringing in enough between us to make the rent every month. They said I could get $144 towards my $1200 balance. oh yay. They sent me here and there but was told over and over that they were sorry, there wasn't anything they could do to help me.

    They put that money towards my electric bill but told me I had to pay it back. Really?! 4 months after finally getting food stamps they stopped them without so much as a word. It was just a good thing that when that happened I started my job. What would've happened if I didn't get a job? Would we have to choose between rent or food?

    It's a sad statement on society. The people who defraud "the system" are the ones that make it impossible for the ones who really need the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. unemployment is no better these days either with how long it lasts and how little you have to do to "prove" you are looking for a job.

    ReplyDelete